We’re always looking for quality trip leaders for our year round trips. Things we value the most are:
- Experience camping, outdoor cooking, hiking, sailing, diving, kayaking, etc., especially on the Big Island.
- Medical training with current certifications. (First Aid, CPR, Wilderness First Responder, Lifeguard, EMT certifications, etc.)
- A safe driving record and the ability to drive large four wheel drive trucks and vans safely.
- Knowledge and teaching skills in Hawaiian history/culture, natural sciences, and sustainability. (Geology, Astronomy, Biology, Renewable Energy, etc.)
- Experience/enthusiasm working with teenagers and the ability to be a good example.
- The ability to see things that need to be done, and do them without being asked.
- All applicants must be able to remain 100% alcohol, tobacco and swearing free while leading trips.
- Due to logistics, our first preference is for applicants already living in Hawaii, and especially on the Big Island.
- All applicants must be at least 21 years of age (and 25 is even better), for insurance purposes.
If you don’t have all the qualities we’re looking for, don’t be discouraged from applying! We treat our trip leaders well and pay them more than most outdoor programs. As such, we expect to hire very professional, competent, high quality leaders. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out our 2010 staff training!